Here in Minnesota, USA, winter is cold, dark, and long. On average, we have wintery weather from November through most of April. Yes, Prince was right, “sometimes it snows in April.” We dress warmly and go outside anyway. There are lots of winter art events to bring us some cheer and a bit of wonder. Winter Kite Festivals around the state add the pleasure of much-needed color and the magic of the animated kites overhead while standing out in the middle of a frozen lake.
In the winter, I truly crave color. I miss it all. winter. long. The blue sky is the only color we see in our drab northern landscape. I wonder if that’s the reason Minnesotans love blue so much?
- What is the impact of color on your life?
- In what ways do you use color to cheer you up?
- Fly a kite this year! You’ll need a vast open space, a giant field, a frozen lake, or a windy beach!
- Check out the kite flying action at the Kites on Ice Kite Festival in Buffalo, MN.
- Make a kite using recycled materials.